Sunday, May 3, 2015

#3 Portrait Study of Beetle


5 1/2" x 5 1/2" Oil on panel

This is my last portrait of Beetle as we returned her to the loft and then out to fly again---hopefully she's all better.  While I was painting, her loft companions would visit us.  It was quite entertaining to have a small flock bobbing about my feet or on the porch railing. So why I did this, I'm not sure---I took a break and left my cigar box easel with the palette and painting open and exposed. I returned thirty minutes later to find one of the pigeons had stepped all over the palette then apparently climbed on the painting. There was paint everywhere and the painting was scratched all over and speckled with paint.  I just sat down with a sigh and began cleaning up and then scrapped the painting (I wish I would have taken a photo) and started again.  I hadn't initially intended to do a background but the residual paint strains from the scraping inspired me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment