Sunday, July 29, 2012

Portrait Sketches in Prismacolor

Even though this summer I haven't been able to paint, I draw a little everyday.  For awhile I was doing a portrait a day to practice capturing faces.  In trying different drawing media I fell upon Prismacolor Markers and my drawing people routine morphed into doing some experimental abstract sketches.   Once I felt I was getting the hang of the markers, I returned to doing portraits and now I'm finally getting around to posting some of them (as some are really too bad to share!).  I think they're a bit odd (and a little off) but I'm really loving the medium.  I don't do any preliminary drawing, I just jump right in with the pens.  There's no going back on mistakes---I have to work with the marks I put down.  It's a joy to make these sketches.

Here are some of my favorites in order starting from the most recent (today):

Jonathan Toulin

Mrs. Nolan

Bob Smith

Gloria Smith

Mrs. Martin

Mrs. Sanders

Shane Winfield
LaVonda July

Christopher Koster

The Violin Player

The Chef

Man in Gray

2 comments:

  1. Are the top portraits yearbook photos? The hair takes me back to the 80s :) Congrats on trying a new medium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Some are from a yearbook, 1984. That makes me so happy that you can tell they're from the 80's. I can't get over how fun they are to make (and funny looking they are), I'm tempted to translate the whole book.

      Delete