Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Going Back To Basics

I've been struggling with my painting lately and I think my troubles are coming from my rendering skills.  So I'm going back to the basics. I don't necessarily want to paint realistic portraits but I do want to capture my subjects likeness. I feel like I really need to practice seeing and then interpreting everything correctly to give myself a good strong foundation of skills to then apply to my paintings and hopefully see some improvement.  All that said, this is my first drawing with those intentions:

13" x 8 1/2", graphite on paper



 And this is a painting I did last week during an open life drawing session with a 2 1/2 hour pose:

8" x 10", oil on primed paper

5 comments:

  1. You are so awesome. Not the generic awesome either... the "awe inspiring" kind! Extraordinary likeness of your Mister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow gable that is very cool. You got his smug mug so perfect I want to slap it off my computer. Love you guys
    Dave m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I even surprised myself that I was successful in making it look like him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete