Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oil Cloth and Mandarins


6in. x 6in., oil on panel

I painted this today outside in our amazing 78 degree weather! This is the table I do my ceramics on.  The composition is inspired by my friend Katy who does these amazing paintings with bold, bright colors.  I had this idea in mind (with Katy in mind) for awhile now and finally, all came together so I could attempt it. Definitely a challenging painting with the light continually changing and the repeated visit of a curious bee. Since I set it up outside, I had to do it alla prima (all at once) which is always challenging in itself for me.  Looking at it now, I would change some things but I will let it go.  

2 comments:

  1. Went out and bought some oranges after I saw this. The oil cloth is very special to see. My grandmother kept an oil cloth on our family gathering table when I was a child. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, your response really made my day. I just find these particular oil clothes so pleasant. I have one with a yellow background and one with a blue background, both with similar flower patterns. I imagine they will make it into a future painting.

    ReplyDelete