Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sketchbook Portrait- The Actor

watercolor, charcoal, prismacolor pencil, & graphite pencil
Today is devoted to scouring the house, patching holes in pants and repairing broken things, but I'd rather be painting. Sigh.
Yesterday, we went to a wedding and I took a picture of our friend Brant and used it as a reference for my sketch this morning.  I just realized his one eye is looking off on its own, it doesn't do that, that's my drawing skills! Sorry Brant.  You can't tell from this drawing, but he has this fabulous red, shinny beard.
Among the many things Brant does, he acts in local, independent films and is often cast as a scary character which is funny because he's more like a big teddy bear.

3 comments:

  1. Do you find it's harder to render a portrait if you know the person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not really. I do have in mind that the person I'm rendering may see the finished drawing and thus, I'm curious on how they might react. In this stage of my studies, I really try to create a close likeness to my reference and I feel that I approach strangers and people I know the same.
    I wonder if even in photos we see ourselves different than others see us?
    I do prefer to draw people I know using photos I take, but periodicals offer a huge array of different kinds of faces that I would never have in my personal photo collection. I like the practice but that's also why they're in my sketchbook, they're not all my images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure we see ourselves differently in photos. When I see a pic, the bits I don't like stand out. Other people don't give a whit. :)

    ReplyDelete