Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mom Reading

My first oil portrait from life: my mom reading and knitting.


8 inch x 10 inch, oil on canvas

I did this in two sittings, one about three hours and another a couple of days later that was almost two hours.  It was challenging for both of us---for her to sit so long and me to try and capture her in paint.  I had moments when I felt like I understood what I was seeing and doing, but mostly I felt sloppy and a little lost.  I can't wait to try another one and find more of those times that I feel like I know what I'm doing. I'm thinking I will practice from photos as well to get better with handling the paint so when I have a sitter I can be more efficient.  My mom was the perfect first subject. Thanks mom!

5 comments:

  1. It's a lovely portrait! I've been eagerly awaiting ones of your mum. And it was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful, Gabel! The skin tones are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ya'll ! I can't believe I waited this long to try doing this, it's so fun and challenging---I love it. I want to do more and more and more.

    ReplyDelete