Thursday, August 7, 2014

Quinacridone Red

Alizarin Crimson vs Quinacridone Red :

16" x 22", oil on canvas
I've just returned from visiting family and friends.  While away I had envisioned painting but it didn't happen.  I did read a book on color harmony in which it recommended the use of Quinacridone Red in place of the less permanent Alizarin Crimson. I bought a tube and when I got home I set up a simple still life with an apple and gave it a try.  It was a disaster.  I felt like I had forgotten everything I had ever learned about painting. After sulking for a day I decided to just mix colors and get familiar with the paint again. So I did the above charts comparing the two reds. The top group is Alizarin Crimson, the bottom is Quinacridone Red. Each is mixed with my favorite colors (top horizontal row) then lightened with white (vertical row). It's hard to tell from this photo and being so small on the computer, but there is clearly, although subtle, differences.  Alizarin Crimson is blueish and the tints have a smokey quality in comparison to the Quinacridone Red which is also less transparent than Alizarin.  Quinacridone Red and Cadmium Orange make a beautiful bright red.  The most significant difference I found was when mixing with other transparent colors. I'm still partial to the Alizarin as I'm more familiar with it but I think the Quinacridone can be adapted. I'm going to give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment