Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sketchbook Portrait- The Texan

watercolor, graphite pencil, & charcoal
This face was inspired by a magazine add for San Antonio, Texas.   What drew me to him was the hat, the direction of his head, and the sunlight on his face.  In the add, his image is small, his head no larger than a dime.  I don't see well close up and I prefer to draw without my reading glasses, so I really couldn't see him that well which helped me not fuss over detail and see more of the predominant values.  My favorite part of the image is the reflection of the light off his skin onto the underneath of the brim of his hat, it's really subtle and beautiful in the color photo.

1 comment:

  1. I see what you mean about the reflected light. Nice. I like that his eyes are turned in a different direction from his face. Adds an undercurrent of something to the image.

    ReplyDelete